Thursday 11 April 2013

The Play House Project

We hadn't given much thought to a birthday gift until about 3 weeks prior to the big day. We Father Christmas bought Bunny a toy kitchen for her first Christmas and she has played with it daily. Like most young children she loves role play and spends hours 'cooking' or 'vacuuming' with her Hetty. So, to expand on the theme we decided to get her a play house for the garden.

There are loads of different ones available, but we decided to go with one by Windmill Crafts. The guys were so helpful, and luckily were delivering another play house in the county 3 days before her birthday, so could drop Bunny's off then too!


They couldn't paint the interior for me, but the exterior came in my choice of colour, so that was settled, Easter weekend I was all set to do a little decorating and get it all looking fabulous.























I really wanted to keep it as a surprise, so my husband could also be there to see her face when we showed it to her, so I 'wallpapered' the kitchen doors with some old off-cuts. Amazingly she only tried to peep once, and seemed quite happy with the explanation that it was a surprise outside! I would NEVER be able to be so restrained!

I managed to get it all painted, and even ran up curtains in time. I really enjoyed the sewing, and plan to make a quilt / cushion for the upstairs area.

To save time and my sanity and stress levels, I bought some bunting from Next, along with the wooden hearts hanging up and some fairy lights. The curtain fabric was some old bits left in my stash from ages ago, I didn't quite have enough, so added the green dot onto the bottom to eek it out a bit. I think that the green makes them look much better, and it has neatened the back up so no hems are visible. I didn't do tie backs yet, but will try to next time I sit down to sew. 

                                  
      the very well loved kitchen! 
                                                                    

 

 
The deckchair is by Egmont toys and we can order them in upon request. The faux (!) flowers are rather loud; we will probably plant the window boxes properly, but until it warms up there seems little point. 

The plan is to have the garden 'tidied up' in the next few weeks (it is hideous atm), and the playhouse will be moved to its permanent position, hopefully with some lovely planting around it to soften the edges and make it a nice feature. But until then it is just outside the kitchen, which has worked well with all of the snow we had to contend with.

No comments:

Post a Comment